The Bazzanti Art Gallery was founded in 1822 by Pietro and Niccolò Bazzanti as a marble sculpture atelier whose works embellished Florence and were sold all over the world.
At a later date it became an art gallery specialized in the sale of marble replicas of ancient and neoclassical works. In the 1960s the owners of Fonderia Artistica Ferdinando Marinelli took over the art gallery and it became the Foundry’s’ showroom.
The ample marble sculpture collection was augmented and enriched by the addition of renowned lost wax bronze castings carried out in the Marinelli Foundry. The Pietro Bazzanti Gallery is a historical site in Florence, representative of the city’s artistic heritage. Its premises have been located since the 19th century in the Palazzo of the Princes Corsini overlooking the Arno on the Lungarno Corsini. For two centuries, it has been an important focal point for collectors and art enthusiasts, as well as architects, interior decorators and designers.
The Bazzanti Gallery hosts a collection of sculptures from the 19th to the 21st centuries. Along with precious original 19th and 20th century marbles and works by artists and copyists who have continued the craft of Pietro and Niccolò Bazzanti, there is a unique collection of bronzes fusions realized by Fonderia Ferdinando Marinelli according to the ancient technique of lost wax casting. The bronze and marble sculptures are reproduced from the original casts of Antique and Renaissance masterpieces; 19th and 20th works are realized from the casts the Foundry has acquired over the years directly from the artists who frequented the Foundry and from contemporary artists who continue to rely on Fonderia Marinelli to fuse their bronze works. The large collection of Classic and Renaissance plaster casts (‘gipsoteca’) molded after original works and the 19th and 20th century sculpture models are among the treasures of the Foundry.
The Gallery includes reproductions in alabaster, in semi precious stone as well as sculptures and fountains in ‘Pietra di Vicenza’ (the same stone Canova employed for his sculpture group “Orpheus and Eurydice” in the Museo Correr, Venice), which is a very suitable for gardens and other outdoor sites as it hardens over time when exposed to air and water. The Gallery offers small scale versions, table sculptures and miniatures ideal for interiors; mosaic tables and objects for house furnishins. In addition to offering works for sale, the Gallery provides design and interior decoration services for internal and external spaces; basins, fountains, customized sculptures and castings. It is able to meet all of their clients customized needs including on site installation and fitting. Well known for its international private clients, The Bazzanti Gallery is famous for supplying sculptures, designing and executing furnishings for important sites and structures world wide including selected rooms in the Kremlin in Moscow, the UN building in Geneva and grand hotels such as Caesars Palace and the Bellagio, both in Las Vegas.
In 1822 Pietro Bazzanti took over the workshop established on 1815 by Luigi Bozzolini, the last heir of an ornamental sculptor family who had been in the employment of the noble Corsini family since the 17th century. The first mention of The Bazzanti Art Gallery is to be found in the 19th century guidebooks to Florence where it is described as a “space with a large window on the Lungarno with a sculpture atelier in the rear on Via del Parione”. Although the archives were destroyed during the disastrous floods in 1844 and 1966, an agreement signed on 1823 for the execution of a sepulchral monument in Great Britain is clear evidence that the Bazzanti Gallery has worked on foreign commissions from the very beginning of its activity. Unlike Pietro Bazzanti whose training took place within the workshop itself, his son Niccolò received his diploma from the Florence School of Fine Arts (‘Accademia di Belle Arti’) studying under Professor Carradori.
During the twentieth century the Gallery underwent many change of ownership. It has managed to survive, at times with difficulty, and prosper through recessions and two world wars. With its acquisition by the Marinelli family, 1960 marked a year of rebirth for the Gallery. It became the Foundry’s showroom, adding marble works to the bronze sculptures. The workshop for sculptures was re-opened near the marble quarry and the fame of Marinelli castings served to establish the reputation of the Bazzanti Gallery internationally. Together with the Foundry, the Gallery is once again a cultural center and meeting place for artists and sculptors, who keep alive the ancient artisan techniques of marble and semi precious stone workmanship.