The work in marble signed by Apollonius of Nestor, Athenian is datable to the first century BC, and is considered a copy of a bronze original of the second century BC. Was found in Rome in the early 1500s, and owes its name to its first place in the courtyard of the Belvedere. Michelangelo and Raffaello studied long the work and they were fascinated. Michelangelo would have even refused, according to legend, to restore it judging it too beautiful to be changed.
The mold used to execute the bronze work using the lost-wax casting process was produced directly in 1932 in the Vatican by Ferdinando Marinelli Sr., and is currently in the collection of the Fonderia Artistica Ferdinando Marinelli